Thursday, January 17, 2013

iphones, nice people, and heaven-sent miracles.

if you follow me on the instagram {rachelsayumiporter}, you may have seen this pathetic, tragic photo the other day:

can you see the "skeleton" exposed on the top left of my phone?!

a couple days ago, i made a big mistake... i put my phone in my rear pocket. now i usually never do this, because when i sit, my phone always seems to slip out of my pocket. i guess i was in a hurry to get to school, so i put it in my bum pocket. i biked up to school as usual.

once i got up to campus, i reached in my coat pocket (where i thought my phone was) .... and felt nothing but my keys. uhhhh.... i checked every single pocket, as well as all the pockets of my backpack. I prayed that i just had left my phone at home as i tried to block out the possibility that i dropped my phone on the way to school....

i was scared, since my phone isn't contracted. if i lost it and wanted another iphone, i would have to pay a lot of money for it. my husband rode my bike back to our apartment. he emailed me that....... my phone was not at the apartment. shoot.

since justin was going to pick me up from class (i have an evening class that goes till 6:30... ugh haha) i figured that he could slowly drive me down the path that i rode up to school, and i'd look for it. when he picked me up, he told me he had some good news, and bad news (why do those two always go hand in hand?!). I took a guess. "You found my phone but it's destroyed, isn't it?!?!?!"

Basically, yes.

Justin had called my phone, and luckily some random girl who had picked it up answered!! It was so nice of her to hold on to it. Although it was destroyed, anyone [evil] could have gotten it fixed, cleared the memory, and sold it!!! But a nice girl met up with justin and gave my phone back

my phone's screen was entirely cracked. the picture above doesn't do it justice!!! little glass shards were falling out. I had to tape my phone so that no more pieces would crumble off. Luckily, it was just the glass screen rather than the LED screen that had been damaged. I went into the repair shop the next morning and was able to get it fixed!!!!!!!!!! i am SO grateful!!! 


happy.

Getting the screen fixed wasn't necessarily cheap, but it was definitely much much cheaper than getting a new phone! thank you, random lil girl who babysat my phone for me!!!

do you guys have any miraculous lost & found stories??




33 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had this problem before, I dropped it from my locker at work. Face down onto a concrete floor. I was devastated. But, like you say, having it fixed is a much more attractive prospect than replacing it! Glad you got it sorted :)

Kerri Andersen said...

yeah thats crazy! i have one...but it wasn't an iPhone. just a regular cell phone. haha :) i realized i didn't have my phone and thought i mustve dropped it outside somewhere. but i had no clue where. i was walking out to my car after school and it was really snowy. i was pouting and kicking the snow out of frustration. well, the third time i kicked, i kicked something hard- it was my phone. that i kicked, that was buried under the snow in a random place in the school parking lot. craziest thing EVER! haha it still worked and everything!

Amanda Schroeder said...

That is AMAZING. It sucks that your screen was shattered BUT hey!! You found it. That's awesome!! My dad has a truck. And he set his wallet on the back of it. . . it has that nice grippy stuff. Drove from Logan to Sandy & when he got home, it was still on there. CRAZY sauce! PS. Cute top on that picture!


amanda @ we and serendipity

Kirsten Wiemer said...

only at byu.
im glad you got it fixed.
now i can text you :)
things are definitely starting to look up :)

K

Anonymous said...

oh your polka dot blouse is adorable! and that collar! ahh! where did you get it?

Eliza said...

this one time I left my phone on the bus and I thought I lost it forever but some random guy found it and texted my roommate (who was the person I texted the most!) and she went to go pick it up while I was at work! when I got home I heard my phone ringing and was surprised!!

Chandra said...

Woooohoo! My heart sank as I started reading, but it lifted at the end! haahah Awesome!

Chandra
More Modern Modesty

katherine said...

ohhh you lucky girl! loving that last picture of you. you are one gorgeous little thing.

larissa said...

Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky, i laid my phone down on a counter top at a hotel and my two year old dashes to make a getaway, well more worried about her than my phone I run after her forgetting to pick it back up. I come back not even 10 min later and it's gone, I know exactly who took it but couldn't prove it....the retail value of that sucker was 600$ let's just say i will never return to that hotel again! You're very lucky someone was nice and held on to it for you! The worst part about my phone was all the pictures that are now gone:(

Natasha L'nei said...

My thoughts as reading: Oh, no! and then Oh, yay! I broke a phone putting it in my back pocket too :/ but I'm glad yours was repairable!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

Haha!! Yeah I hope this story kept you guys at the edge of your seats! ;) jk jk. thanks for your kind words girl!!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

oh my gosh i am so sorry to hear about that!! there are some cruel people in the world :(! yeah that was my same concern as well - so many of my memories are captured on my phone camera!! thanks for your comment!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

you're so sweet, Katherine! Thank you.

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

haha oh good! thanks so much for your comment :)

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

thanks so much! The polka dot sweater is from forever21 and the blouse is from gojane.com!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

hehehe hecks yes! ;)

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

yeah, it really was such a blessing!! ohhhh i'm so glad for your dad!! I've definitely left stuff on my car and drove off haha! thanks Amanda!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

hahah WOW! That is way crazy!!!! I'm so glad you found it!!! how amazing haha! thanks for commenting! :D

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

ohhhhhhhh no!! yeah, it happens! phones are high maintenance haha! i totally agree! thanks for your comment!

Julie said...

I dropped my Samsung Galaxy 3 a month ago from my armpit to the floor of a store and it cracked just a tiny bit in the corner. Unluckily for me, that's apparently where the sensor is that connects the screen to the digitizer and to get it replaced, was a $400 fix. And it took a whole month for them to do it. So I definitely feel for ya. But your bangs are super cute in that last photo and you look so happy that it's cheering me up right now!

xoxo, Julie @ OBSESSED

Andy said...

RACHEL. I literally read this and then went to the kitchen to check on Chad, dropped my phone. . and glass pieces everywhere.

Dearest Lou said...

i'm so happy that there are still good people in this world! that's awesome that she returned it to you and that you had it fixed (: also, i really love your new bangs makes me miss mine. i started growing them out because my husband likes me better with longer ones! haha

xx

Marli said...

yay for the little blessings like these! i love it how God pays attention to even the little details. :)

i shot you an email...let me know what you think. ;) thanks!

xo
purposelyathome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This last summer I dropped my phone in the toilet (no-no on the back pocket for me) and even though I had it insured it cost quite the pretty penny! Stupid phone companies have a secret monopoly going!

Hannah said...

Oh nooo! So sorry about your phone that's the worst :( I love your bangs though, super cute!

Btw, I have a great giveaway going on my blog right now -- would love for you to check it out! xo

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

oh no!!! yeah, technology breakdowns are really the worst haha!!

thanks so much Julie! You are so sweet! <3

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

andy. this... is UNBELIEVABLE omg........

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

haha me too, Cecilia!!! Thanks so much! yeah my husband likes my hair longer buuut I needed a change haha ;)

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

yes God was definitely involved!! it's so nice to know he cares, even about silly technology!

thanks Marli!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

i remember reading about that on your blog! ahhhhh. Seriously tho - apple is taking over the world.

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

haha yeah, it's crazy! Thanks Hannah!

I'll check it out, thanks!

xo

Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

Oh that is amazing. I'm way too attached to my iPhone, and it's not contracted either. Something like that happening is my worst nightmare!

PS So good to run into you last night :)

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

that was the best :):)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for reading, xo